Ingredients - Serves 4 - 6
400g dried or fresh orecchiette pasta
600g broccoli, washed
250g fresh salsiccia sausage
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 level teaspoon of chilli flakes
1/2 glass of dry white wine
- Cook the broccoli in just enough salted water to cover it until soft. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon, place in a bowl and mash with a fork, retaining the cooking water.
- Bring the broccoli water back to boiling point, add the orecchiette and cook for 8 minutes
- for dried or 3 minutes for fresh.
- Meanwhile scrape the sausage meat from the skin and saute along with the tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes in the oil.
- Add the wine and increase the heat momentarily to cook off the alcohol, then return to a low heat. Continue to cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the cooked broccoli along with a couple of tablespoons of broccoli water and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain the orecchiette, add to the pan, stir and serve.
Suggestion: To cater for vegetarian guests simply eliminate the sausage and sprinkle with freshly grated Pecorino cheese or mature ricotta and black pepper before serving.