Each region of Italy boasts its own traditional lasagna based on local ingredients, but this version remains one of our customers' favourites over the past 13 years!
Ingredients- serves 6-8
400g dried lasagna
200g grated parmigiano
200g quality minced beef
200g quality minced pork
200g mozzarella, diced
50g pancetta, diced
500ml tomato passata or 2 tins of plum tomatoes
2 ripe beef tomatoes, chopped
Soffritto of 1 diced carrot, stick of celery and 2 shallots
1 glass of red wine
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Béchamel sauce
50g plain flour
- For the ragu: Sauté the soffritto in the oil on a low heat and add the pancetta, cook for a couple of minutes and add the minced meats. Stir until the meat takes on a rich pink colour but avoid browning. Add the wine and increase the heat momentarily to cook off the alcohol, then add the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and cook on a low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add some warm water if it becomes dry.
- For the béchamel sauce: Melt the butter, and stirring continuously fold in the flour little by little until it is absorbed. Gradually pour in the milk, little by little, stirring continuously until all of the milk is absorbed and the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Put a little oil in the bottom of a rectangular oven dish and line with lasagna sheets.
- Cover with a thin layer of ragu, drizzle béchamel sparingly over the ragu, sprinkle with the parmigiana and dot with the mozzarella.
- Repeat this process for about three or four layers, finishing with a layer of béchamel, parmigiano and mozzarella. Place in the oven for around 40 minutes.
- Leave to rest for a couple of minutes before cutting.