Polenta con salsicce e spuntature
Ingredients - Serves 4
320g Polenta (fresh or ready to use)
500ml tomato passata or 2 tins of plum tomatoes
250g spare ribs (ask your butcher to cut them to 5cm pieces)
250g Italian Sausage
200g freshly grated Grana Trentino cheese
4 ripe beef tomatoes, chopped
4 bay leaves
1/2 glass of red wine
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Soffritto of finely diced carrot, stick of celery and shallot
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sauté the soffritto and bay leaves in the olive oil and add the ribs and sausage.
- Pour in the red wine and increase the heat momentarily to cook off the alcohol, then return to a low heat.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepepr to taste, cover and cook for 90 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add some warm water if it starts to dry.
- Bring a large saucepan of boiling water to simmer and gradually add the polenta a little at a time.
- Stir continuously to ensure that the polenta doesn't lump. This takes around 45 minutes to an hour depending on the quality of the flour.
- The polenta is ready when it easily comes away from the side of the saucepan.
- Pour into a large serving dish, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with freshly grated Grana Trentino.
Suggesstion: Make a double quantity of polenta. Leave half of the batch aside to cool. The polenta will set and the following day you can bake it in the oven for a couple of minutes with tomato sauce and mozzarella.