Calamari con patate e piselli
Ingredients - Serves 4
600g squid, cleaned and cut into strips (ask your fishmonger to do this)
350g frozen or fresh peas
250ml tomato passata
2 medium potatoes, diced
4-5 fresh mint leaves
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 glass of dry white wine
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 shallots, finely sliced
1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
100ml simmering water
Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat the shallots gently in the oil until they become translucent.
- Add the garlic, chilli and stir, then add the squid and pour in the wine.
- Increase the heat momentarily to cook off the alcohol, then return to a low heat.
- Pour in the tomato passata and simmering water, add pepper and salt to taste, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Now add the potatoes, mint and peas (if using frozen peas boil them for five minutes and drain before adding) and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with thick slices of bruschetta drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
Suggestion: Serve warm rather than hot, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil from Pugli.